Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Raw Food Diet

For a couple of different reasons, I decided to try the Raw Food Diet! I have been doing it for about 5 days, and all I can say about it so far is that it is tough! It hasn't changed the way I feel quite yet, or how I look, but eating family meals, it's hard for me to restrain from eating all the delicious, cooked things. The first day I cheated a little bit, eating some hummus with my veggies, but since then I have been 100% loyal to the diet.
There are some things that are tedious, like only heating tea water to 118 degrees, and not eating any refined or processed foods; but since my diet was very good to start with, it has been easier for me that for many. I try to make it a habit to drink a few glasses of warm, tap water every morning and evening! My main sources of protein right now are nuts and seeds, and sprouts. 
Every morning I start off my day with either a fresh, natural, organic, nutritious smoothie (banana, apple, strawberry, blueberry, mango, water, flax seeds, sunflower seeds) or an apple, eaten with raw, organic, natural almond butter with NO additives and a glass of raw milk from my uncle's cows! These foods give me energy for the day I have ahead!
For lunch I have a nice big bag of homemade trail mix (almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, raisins, dried apple, ginger, dried cranberries) to fuel me for track practice after school, and a salad!
For dinner I eat one or two avocados on a bed of spinach, carrots, tomato, and whatever else I find in the fridge. 
I'll check in again soon about how it's going! 

~Iolani

1 comment:

  1. I am very curious, why raw? I know I feel fuller after eating certain protein sources, tempeh, tofu etc...and think they aren't part of the raw diet. Please keep the updates coming, I would love to know more.

    ReplyDelete